Yolo County Manager of Operations & Strategy
(Public Information Officer)
625 Court Street, Room 202
Woodland, CA 95695
Phone: (530) 666-8042
FAX: (530) 669-4029
January Programs at the West Sacramento Branch Library
(Woodland, CA) – All are welcome to participate in the following special programs held during the month of January at Yolo County’s Arthur F. Turner Community Library, located at 1212 Merkley Avenue in West Sacramento:
• January 3: Workforce Innovation & Opportunity Act (WIOA), 11:00 a.m. Come and meet a representative from the Yolo County Health & Human Services Agency to learn about adult and dislocated worker training services. WIOA will be at the library only once a month.
• January 8: Multi-Sensory Story Time, 12:00 p.m. Children (ages 1-5 years) and their parents or caregivers are invited to join us for an inclusive story time. There will be a focus on children with special sensory needs. We will be using adapted books and sensory toys.
• January 8: Love on a Leash, 4:00 p.m. Children (ages 6-12) are invited to join us for a fun “Read to a Dog” program. Love on a Leash® (LOAL) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to providing an avenue for volunteer pet therapy teams to engage in meaningful and productive animal assisted therapy. Parents/caregivers are asked to stay with their child to help with the reading. After 10 visits a participant may choose a free book.
• January 10 & 24: Teen Club (Teen Room), 5:00 p.m. Teens (ages 13-18) are invited to participate in our bi-weekly program at the library focused on teen development through engaging activities. Snacks will be provided.
• January 11 & 25: All Things String, 6:00 p.m. This crafting circle is for anyone who knits, crochets, embroiders, or enjoys fiber art. Bring a project or start something new.
• January 12: Sacramento Sunyata Meditation & Qi Gong, 4 p.m. All are invited to come and learn about the benefits of meditation and Qi Gong. Learn simple techniques that will enable you to reduce stress and anxiety, decrease blood pressure, improve digestion and increase self-awareness. No prior experience or knowledge needed. Please do not eat within two hours prior to the Qi Gong exercises and wear loose and comfortable clothing.
• January 17: What’s Happening Seniors?, 12:00 p.m. Are you looking to get together with active seniors and make new friends? Come share stories, learn from one another and find out ‘What’s Happening’ in West Sacramento and beyond.
• January 17: Evening Book Club, 6:00 p.m. Come see old friends and meet new ones for a lively discussion. Books are collected and distributed at the meeting. This month’s reading selection will be Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuko. Please contact Cindy at (916) 731-5504 for more information.
• January 20: Family Movie, 3:00 p.m. Join us for a family-friendly movie rated G or PG shown on our giant screen, with free popcorn! Brought to you with the generous support of the West Sacramento Friends of the Library. Call the library for the title 916-375-6465.
• January 22: Tales for Tails, 4:00 p.m. Children (ages 6-12) are invited to join us for a fun “Read to a Dog” program. You will meet up to four very special dogs and their handlers. Parents/caregivers are asked to stay with their child to help with the reading. After 10 visits a participant may choose a free book.
• January 26: Therapeutic Tai Chi and Qi Gong Part XXV, 4:00 p.m. Learn a series of movements and breathing exercises for general wellness, stress relief, physical balance, flexibility, and fall prevention. In part XXV, we will start the new year by going back to the basics: getting rid of and dispelling bad qi within our body and nourishing good qi in return. We shall also re-practice some of the Tai chi and Qi Gong movements that help to strengthen the spinal cord and its flexibility. Come in comfortable clothing; floor mats and chairs will be provided. New participants are welcome and no registration is required.
• January 27: Family Program: Binder Building, 3:00 p.m. Children of all ages and their parents/caregivers are invited to come out and participate in binder building. You will be able to create your very own binder with different materials and when you are finished you can take it home. All materials provided.
• January 29: S.T.E.A.M.ing Mad: Egg Experiments, 4:00 p.m. Can you separate the egg white from the yolk? Can you walk on eggs without breaking them? Come and see what you can do with an egg! Great for tweens and teens.
• January 31: West Sacramento Friends of the Library (WSFOL) Meeting, 6:00 p.m. This non-profit 501(c)(3) organization is dedicated to serving the West Sacramento community through supporting library programs and services, and welcomes new members. Please contact the WSFOL directly at (916) 375-6465, ext. 4 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The following ongoing programs continue in January:
• Buddy Reading: Mondays at 4:30 p.m. Practice reading in a thirty-minute session with an older “buddy.” After 10 visits a participant may choose a free book.
• Mother Goose on the Loose: Tuesdays at 11:00 a.m.
• Homework Center: Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:30 p.m. Participation is free and pre-registration is required at the Information Desk. For additional information contact the Homework Center Assistant at (916) 375-6469.
• Bilingual Russian Story Time: Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m.
• Preschool Story Time: Wednesdays at 11:00 a.m.
• English Conversation Group: Wednesdays at 4:00 p.m. and Fridays at 10:00 a.m.
• Hug-a-Bye Baby: Thursdays at 11:00 a.m.
• Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Spanish Story Time: Saturdays at 11:00 a.m.
NOTICES: The Yolo County Library’s branches will be closed on January 1 for New Year’s Day and on January 15 in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day. On January 22 all branches will be open from 2:00 to 6:00 p.m.
Unless otherwise stated, all programs are sponsored by the West Sacramento Friends of the Library, are free to attend and do not require registration. For more information about events at the Arthur F. Turner Community Library, contact library staff at (916) 375-6465 or visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocountylibrary.org (see calendar for Arthur F. Turner Community Library-specific events). Connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.